Friday, April 23, 2010

Vinyl Lives! Jason's LP cabinet finished

I started a fancy two-tiered combination record cabinet and turntable holder for my client, Jason, a few weeks ago. I was thrilled to deliver it completed, along with a little bonus LP, earlier this week. Since I'm an avid record collector, I had a blast making this cabinet and hope I get a chance to make some others similar to this one. Maybe I'll even have time one day to make one for myself.
From my original design, I couldn't resist making a couple changes and embellishments. First, I traded out the proposed paper strap door pulls and handles for a set I hand-turned from canarywood. They're likely to last a little longer, especially since they'll be in arms reach of an adventurous 2-year-old. I also inlayed a single star pattern in the top of the lid that's similar to the tables and other pieces I've been making recently.


The project also created several challenges for me; namely the compound angles I had to cut and join to create the top. I also learned that next time I make something like this, I should try to make the top a little lighter (it's kind of a beast).

Each tier of the cabinet holds around 75 - 100 12-inch LPs, which should be plenty of space for Jason to expand his collection.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Gorgeous. I am in awe...