Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Staying Grounded

Fridays have become one of my favorite days lately. No, not because it's the end of the traditional work week (there is no end to my work week); but because I get to spend Friday afternoons assisting another artist, sculptor Littleton Alston.

I was previously Littleton's assistant from 2003 - 2008, helping him with a number of tasks that ran the gammit from mold-making, waxwork, helping pour bronze(!), welding armatures and sweeping the floor. For instance, I spent Saturday morning finishing a some beautiful paduak bases I made for some of his stainless steel sculptures.

Working with Littleton in the past and now again taught me all kinds of technical skills and has equally influenced my work ethic and aesthetic. I wouldn't have had the discipline or desire to start Measure Cut Cut Studio without Littleton's influence, advice and help. In essence, Littleton has been one of my most important mentors, inside and out of the studio.

Fridays give me a chance to escape my own studio for a while to concentrate on helping someone else accomplish their aesthetic vision while making a few bucks along the way. It's also a great way to reflect on my own process and vision and gain insight and criticism from someone I greatly respect. Working a few hours a week for Littleton is also a constant reminder of where I started my own artistic journey several years ago, and where I'd like to be several years from now. In essence, working on someone else's art helps keep me grounded, focused and, as Anthony Bourdain says, "hungry for more."

Coming up: Jason's LP cabinet is finished; more of those star things are on their way; early preparation for the Bemis Center auction; and an extra cool conversation with Rick Waters of the Sawdust Chronicles!

No comments: