Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A dining table delivered

This past Sunday I borrowed my in-laws' truck and took a short drive to Lincoln to deliver a cherry dining table to my wonderful client Charles and his husband, Jeff. I spent about 4 years making the Omaha-Lincoln-Omaha commute for a previous job, but hadn't done it for several months. It was nice to get out on the Interstate again, especially accompanied by Little Steven's Underground Garage channel on Sirius XM satellite radio, which I already miss. I constantly listen to music while I'm working. Omaha's radio stations leave much to be desired and I refuse to buy an iPod. Since it's too dusty in the shop for my turntable (and the road is a little too bumpy), it seems like satellite radio could be an adequate stand-in. But anyway, back to the table.

Charles' and Jeff's table was my first experience using a set of table extenders, as well as with making removable leaves. I chose to complicate things a bit by adding a yellowheart and paduak inlay pattern on both edges of the leaves to continue and grow the center design. Generally, the project went well, other than that I learned the hard way that using wood that isn't perfectly flat for the leaves can be a little problematic. Lesson learned.

Thanks to Charles and Jeff for giving me the opportunity to create a unique piece that will be a daily part of their home life for many years to come.

No comments: