Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Charles' & Jeff's Dining Table

Here are a couple simple drawings of one of several tables I'm in the midst of making. This one is a dining table for my clients Charles and Jeff, who live in Lincoln. Aside from the legs, which will be slightly tapered, this is basically what the finished piece will look like. This piece continues my series of objects inspired in part by quilt patterns, though employed here in a subtler way here.

This, and another dining table I'm working on simultaneously, are my first forays into tables with leaves. For both I'll use a set of extenders that attach under each table top, allowing the top to separate in the center so the leaves can be dropped in.

For this design, the long side of each leaf includes 1/2 of a star pattern, which will allow the center star design to grow and continue as each leaf is added. The star inlays are paduak and yellowheart, and the table structure is cherry.

Cheers,

Peter

2 comments:

Torch02 said...

I like how you have the star detail split and recompleted in the leaf!

Charles Coley said...

As the clients for whom this table is intended, Jeff and I are incredibly amazed by both the detail of this design *and* your artistic ability.

You've met all of your expectations, Peter, and you've been great to work with. Thank you!