Monday, August 17, 2009

Complete or Repeat? You (help) decide!

Recently I tried my hand at making Niz a cherry and walnut veneer table that I said was my attempt at something like Ikea. It turned out alright, but now we need another one that matches the style, but that's a little taller and a little larger in diameter. I also wanted to do a design on the top that challenged my parquetry skills (actually, lackthereof). I came up with the below design, to a "meh" reaction. I think it's pretty cool, particularly because the yellow veneer is called "myrtle burl", which just sounds funny. The darker wood is walnut burl. I can also imagine what it will look like finished, and think it will be cool. If I move forward on this one, I'll add the same style of half-tapered, cherry or walnut veneer legs as the first, and finish it with a semi-gloss polyurethane. What do you think? Should I move ahead and complete, or does it demand a repeat? Oh, and feel free to re-Tweet (this post).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you're on the right track, I like the contrast between the light and dark wood. Could you try creating a diagonal shape with the light wood? This might make it more...versatile, eyecatching...can't think of the right word?

I'd say finish it, but try different shapes in another one or two. A series, perhaps?

Unknown said...

I swear I've seen a round end table like this with a square instead of your rectangle - I'd say give your shape a go, but I do like the symmetry of the square. (Not much help here, ha.)

holliehobbit said...

Awesome in many ways P. Give her a go.