Monday, August 10, 2009

Babes 'n the Wood: Fancy Baby Rattles

I grew up with lots of wooden toys that my dad made, or my parents bought me at Art in the Park. Other than simple, traditional items like Jacob's Ladders, letter blocks and spinning tops, I don't see many of these kinds of toys anymore. Everything seems to be made out of plastic or rubber. Is it wrong for me to yearn for the days when a kid could get a splinter from a toy? I don't think so.

A couple of years ago a friend of mine had a baby, Simon. I decided I wanted to make a toy that would be crafty, safe and useful for kids, but would trump the clunky, old-school toys while appealing to the modern styles of parents. So I came up with handmade fancy baby rattles.
They're not something I've advertised much - mostly I've just made them for friends and friends-of-friends. This past week I made one for my sister's best friend, and I think I'm going to make some more. Each rattle is available in different combinations of colors and shapes to match the style of your new bundle of joy. They're lightweight and durable. And the smooth surface, finished with a baby-friendly oil, won't leave your 'tyke with any splinters.

1 comment:

jeannelutz said...

My baby Simon! He is three now, but Peter still loves it, and we will keep it forever and give it to our grandchildren. I can't say that about any other toy (of the hundreds) that we own!