Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Patrick's & Amy's dining table

Oh, man, I've been waiting for a project like this to come my way for a long time. Can you guess why?

A. I get to use some beautiful, rare and locally significant wood that I've been hoarding for a long time.
B. The design tells a story about the people it is for.
C. Both A & B

If you guessed A & B, you are correct.

A few weeks ago I received an email from my clients Patrick and Amy, who were referred to me by their friend... Patrick, a former client and fellow record collector.

Patrick and Amy were looking for a simple dining table, so we met and drank some fancy beer, talked about vinyl records, maple trees, the Redwood Forest, conservation and lots of other stuff that helped me learn a little more about what was important for their space. A few days later, I came up with a design that combines maple with reclaimed redwood originally used in the casks of the now defunct Falstaff Brewery (check out this passionately put together, yet terrible geocities-like fansite for more info. about Falstaff). Even though I've never had Falstaff beer, I do like beer; that's just a fact. I also like Omaha-related history, so I guess I'm 2-for-2 with this one.

There isn't much of this redwood floating around the area anymore, so it's going to be a special opportunity to make a piece that will hopefully be a significant part of Patrick's and Amy's home life for a very long time. I'll be balancing time on this project with another project utilizing reclaimed wood, while finishing up a trio of cherry bar stools for my aunt and uncle. I guess all in all, life it pretty good.

No comments: