Friday, July 16, 2010

Summer CAMP

The other day I got a phone call from Eric Downs of Downs Design, asking if I could make a simple, affordable conference table top for the new CAMP grounds in the Mastercraft building. Eric, and Megan of Princess Lasertron fame just started CAMP. They have some seriously talented neighbors, including Birdhouse Interior Design, Secret Penguin, What Cheer and minor white studio. I'm privileged to contribute a little something to another of these energized spaces. Here's a simple version of what I came up with:

Eric procured a metal frame, so I decided to add a series of boards milled at different widths and joined together as a surface would add some texture and depth to the piece. I'll use milk paint - a forgotten product made widely available commercially again fairly recently - to add a modern color palette. Milk paint is an environmentally safe paint made from natural, dry pigments. You just add some water and brush on a soft, rich surface.

The whole table will be finished and sealed to combat the inevitable coffee cup rings that will accompany the hoards of Macbook users who gather around to create the next generation of websites, apps and programs.

7 comments:

Mary Beth Hunt said...

I can't wait to see it!

Unknown said...

my dad has been making a buncha windsor stools with milk paint. colors are amazing!

Artsyfartsytim said...

Hey, don't be hatin on the MacBook users! ;)

Peter Cales, Artist & Designer said...

Mary Beth - I think it'll be able to double as a changing table for Alice.

Amy - I wonder if you could dye fabric with that milk paint...

Tim - I'm not hatin' on Macbook users - I happen to be one myself.

amy morin said...

Even if it didn't work as a durable dye (which it might!), it would be an awesome finish for a fabric sculpture.

Peter Cales, Artist & Designer said...

Amy, it's pretty simple. The pigments are natural - you just add water. It dries kinda chalky, so you might want to seal it. You can borrow some from me if you want.

Mary Beth Hunt said...

I just saw the table tonight. It is big and strong and looks ready to take on the world! Great Job!