Tuesday, June 16, 2009

She's got legs: Clean Plate Sneak Peak #2

"I need wood around me, Jerry. Wood. Wood." - Kramer, from Seinfeld

I have to drive to the Panhandle Wednesday/Thursday and then we're off to San Francisco for a few days starting this weekend. So, I wanted to make a little headway on the Clean Plate table. Tonight I was able to cut and square the remaining four legs. The table, now shortened to about 14-feet, will have 4 solid walnut legs that are about 2" square. All four of the legs pictured above are cut from the same 8/4 piece of wood, which is pretty cool (Most milled lumber is sold in thicknesses of 4/4, 5/4, 6/4 and 8/4. This means just what it sounds like in terms of math - 4/4=4 quarter inches, or 1 inch; 6/4=6 quarter inches, or 1 1/2 inches; and so on - don't ask me why they don't just use the standard inch measurement - must be a wood culture thing). 

Anyway, enough of the shop class lesson. You might not be able to tell, but these pieces all have a very distinctive grain pattern that's very swirly and marbled looking. Check back for more updates soon!

No comments: