Friday, April 17, 2009

Some older things


So this is my first wood creation. Pretty good, huh? Well, I had loads of help from my dad. This is from about 2002. I drew the basic design, which he took a look at and basically said was impossible to make, in sort of the M.C. Escher drawing way. This is one of the few non-chair items I still have. I'll never sell! - Walnut, Cherry, Glass, with glass dividers in the middle and backless drawers, which didn't really work how I envisioned in retrospect. Photo by Kevin Andrew Jones.


I took a commission from my friends Chris and Christine to transform a sort of shelf/display table they'd found at Von Maur or some other department store into a display case. I refinished the piece, added a bunch of inlay and the display case for Chris' super-cool antique beer bottle collection. I also made the wine rack, pictured below, which fits on a shelf or counter. The design is a little big for mass appeal, but a nice blend of maple and blood wood. This was a couple years ago when I was still fascinated by colored wood while I was making this and some other things. It took forever to finish, mostly because I'd never stripped and refinished anything before. That was a hard lesson. Photo by Kevin Andrew Jones.


I'm taking the time to transfer most of my art photos from Facebook/my Mac to here. I'll continue to post a few pictures of work here and there. You can also check out my "Share Your Chair" blog, which is just about all the chairs I'm making in a project that explores, ritual, sharing, exchange and networks.


This is a sort of older piece - obviously a table - that I made around 2004 or 2005. I had it in my house for quite a while. The shelf underneath, besides being perfect for large art books, somehow happened to be the perfect height and depth for about 50 vinyl records. This is a pretty good representation of what I was trying to do at the time - use lots of contrasting woods, utilizing all available space for function, etc. Ironically, I haven't made anything with those sort of elegantly curved legs since. That should change soon. Walnut, Redheart, Mahogany & a few bits of Cocobolo for inlay. Photo by Kevin Andrew Jones.











1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I still can't believe you found a home for this table that is NOT my living room. One of these days I'll have to pull a "family favor" and get you to make a new one.